"Pipe would be the best translation of the Greek term aulòs"*, since all wind instruments are a pipe of some sort it is therefore a fitting name for wind band scores.
In these wind band scores there are no solos and everyone plays together. It is not necessary to have all the instruments playing, just one of each of the numbered parts. There are parts for the following instruments:-
- Flute (1).
- Clarinet 1 in Bb plays over the break (1).
- Clarinet 2 in Bb plays chalumeau range only (2).
- Alto Saxophone (3).
- Tenor Saxophone (4).
- Trumpet 1 in Bb plays up to written E5 (1).
- Trumpet 2 in Bb plays up to written G4 (2).
- Tenor Horn (3).
- Baritone Horn (4).
- Trombone (4).
- Drum Kit (5).
* The History of Musical Instruments by Curt Sachs page 138.